In this article I will demonstrate an unattended installation of vCenter Server 7.0 Update 3d.
To follow along you will need:
- installation ISO for vCenter Server 7.0 Update 3d, which you can download from your My.VMware account: VMware-VCSA-all-7.0.3-19480866.iso
- a text editor. I used Microsoft Visual Studio Code, but you can really use any text editor.
- the ability to run CLI commands. I used a Windows server to launch the command, but VMware also provides binaries for Linux and Mac.
Prepare the JSON Configuration File
VMware provides a number of JSON template files, so we don’t have to start from scratch. Inside the ISO file, we can navigate to vcsa-cli-installer\templates\install to see the available templates. There are 5 templates, among them:
- embedded_vCSA_on_ESXi.json – minimum configuration required for the deployment of vCSA on an ESXi host.
- embedded_vCSA_on_VC.json – minimum configuration required for the deployment of vCSA on a vCenter Server instance.