Configure vRealize Orchestrator 8.1

How to Configure vRealize Orchestrator 8.1

In a previous article I documented steps required to install the latest VMware vRealize Orchestrator 8.1. After vRO deployment, you have to go through the initial configuration of the application. In this article I will show you how to configure a standalone vRealize Orchestrator 8.1 with vSphere authentication.

By default the password expiry of the root account of the vRealize Orchestrator Appliance is set to 365 days. If you choose to extend the expiration period, you can do that opening a SSH connection to the vRO appliance and running this command:

passwd -x number_of_days_to_expire root

Configure vRealize Orchestrator - Change Password Expiration Policy

While you are connected to the SSH, you can also run a check for proper DNS resolution, forward and reverse:

nslookup vro_FQDN

nslookup vro_IP_address

Configure vRealize Orchestrator - Check DNS Resolution
Read More
vRealize Orchestrator 8.1

How to Install VMware vRealize Orchestrator 8.1

In this article I will demonstrate how to install VMware vRealize Orchestrator 8.1 step by step. This is the latest vRO version to date, released only days ago. You can read more details about the changes in vRO 8.1 in one of my previous articles: VMware vRealize Orchestrator 8.1.

First step is to download the required OVA file: O11N_VA-8.1.0.9326-15995344_OVF10.ova. Make sure DNS resolution for your future vRO appliance works, both forward and reverse (hostname and IP address). You can then proceed to deploy the appliance from your vCenter Server (minimum vCenter Server version is 6.0, although that is already an unsupported version by VMware, and I hope you are at least on version 6.5, if not on 7.0).

Read More
vRealize Orchestrator 8.1

VMware vRealize Orchestrator 8.1

Few days ago, VMware released the latest version of their orchestration application, vRealize Orchestrator 8.1 (O11N_VA-8.1.0.9326-15995344_OVF10.ova, build version 15995344).

A little bit of my history with vRO: after playing with versions 5 to early 7 for few years, I took a pause in using Orchestrator. At the beginning of this year, I accepted the challenge to co-run a VMUG presentation on Orchestrator and I tried one of the first version 8 releases. I have to admit I missed few things from my old vRO days. Among them, the new HTML client felt a little strange with the biggest changes being the missing tree view or the removal of visual binding. I think VMware is on a good track now with this product, and 8.1 looks promising 🙂

Read More