VMware has released two new security advisories VMSA-2019-0004 (VMware vCloud Director for Service Providers update resolves a Remote Session Hijack vulnerability) and VMSA-2019-0005 (VMware ESXi, Workstation and Fusion updates address multiple security issues).
The advisories document the remediation of these critical issues:
- VMware vCloud Director for Service Providers update resolves a Remote Session Hijack vulnerability in the Tenant and Provider Portals. Successful exploitation of this issue may allow a malicious actor to access the Tenant or Provider Portals by impersonating a currently logged in session.
- VMware ESXi, Workstation and Fusion contain an out-of-bounds read/write vulnerability and a Time-of-check Time-of-use (TOCTOU) vulnerability in the virtual USB 1.1 UHCI (Universal Host Controller Interface). Exploitation of these issues requires an attacker to have access to a virtual machine with a virtual USB controller present. These issues may allow a guest to execute code on the host.
- VMware Workstation and Fusion contain an out-of-bounds write vulnerability in the e1000 virtual network adapter. This issue may allow a guest to execute code on the host.
- VMware Workstation and Fusion updates address an out-of-bounds write vulnerability in the e1000 and e1000e virtual network adapters. Exploitation of this issue may lead to code execution on the host from the guest but it is more likely to result in a denial of service of the guest.
The Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures project has assigned the identifier CVE-2019-5523 to VMSA-2019-0004 issue and CVE-2019-5514 / CVE-2019-5515 / CVE-2019-5518 / CVE-2019-5519 / CVE-2019-5524 to the VMSA-2019-0005 issues.
VMSA-2019-0004 – Affected Products and Resolutions
- VMware vCloud Director 9.7.x – unaffected
- VMware vCloud Director 9.5.x – update to version 188.8.131.52
- VMware vCloud Director 9.1.x – unaffected
- VMware vCloud Director 9.0.x – unaffected
VMSA-2019-0005 – Affected Products and Resolutions
- ESXi 6.7 – apply patch ESXi670-201903001
- ESXi 6.5 – apply patch ESXi650-201903001
- ESXi 6.0 – apply patch ESXi600-201903001
- Workstation 15.x – update to version 15.0.4
- Workstation 14.x – update to version 14.1.7
- Fusion 11.x – update to version 11.0.3
- Fusion 10.x – update to version 10.1.6
You can check reports on other VMware vulnerabilities in my page dedicated to Security Advisories.